Internet of Things Devices – 15 Smartest “Guys” in the Room
Most Internet of Things devices aren’t in your phone or office – they’re in healthcare, agriculture, factories, and so on. Why? Because smart devices give these major industries the crucial data, they need to manage machines, track inventory, boost efficiency, save costs, and even save lives.
IoT is made up of countless “connected” devices—from nanoscale chips to giant machines—that utilize wireless technology to talk to each other and to you too.
This technology’s King Kong is growing at a breathtaking pace, from 2 billion objects in 2006 to a projected 200 billion by 2022. It’ll be around 26 IoT devices for every human on Earth!
What is an IoT Device?
Any object with a sensor that transmits data from one object to another or helps people with the support of the Internet is known as the IoT device.
It includes wireless sensors, software, computer apps, and more. A smart device is attached to a specific object that operates via the Internet, enabling the transfer of data among objects or people automatically without human intervention.
For instance, IoT platforms in your vehicle identify the traffic ahead and automatically send messages to the friend you’re going to meet of your impending delay.
Even the medical stent can be a connected device that seamlessly communicates with other appliances for greater ease of life and convenience.
Advantages & Disadvantages
There’re some advantages and disadvantages of these devices, which may have a great impact on the current and future generations of humanity.
- IoT supports the interaction between devices called as a machine to machine interaction;
- Provides functional automation and control;
- Integrated with more technical info, so it’s better to operate;
- It possesses an active monitoring feature;
- Saves a lot of time;
- Saves money by reducing manual task and time;
- Automating daily life tasks makes proper monitoring of devices;
- Increased efficiency;
- Useful features make a better quality of life.
- This technology may become highly complex resulting in failure;
- These devices may be affected by privacy and security breach;
- Reduced safety for users;
- Reduction in the employment of manual tasks thus resulting in job reductions;
- Internet of Things devices may take control of your life in due course of time with growing AI technology.
15 Best IoT Devices
Below is the list of the top 15 IoT device examples you can find in the online store.
1. Nest Learning Thermostat
Nest Learning Thermostat is a modern temperature controlling device that automatically programs itself.
The device has built-in sensors that monitor temperature, humidity, movement, and light. The thermostat uses the data it collects from these sources to inform its automatic schedule. This smart thing monitors local weather conditions to see how they affect your home.
It “operates” the home temp based on your routine, which means it controls the entire home temperature with no effort from the residents.
You just need to use this smart gadget for a week, and it programs itself. Plus, it informs you how much energy you saved from time to time. Also, you can pick menu items, change preferences, and adjust the temp by turning the Nest’s outer ring.
- Connects with Alexa for voice control;
- Saves energy by adapting to the room temp;
- Connects with mobile devices for full control;
- Includes auto-away mode when there’s no motion.
2. Canary Smart Security System
Canary’s smart security system provides an all-in-one solution to home security troubles. Not only does Canary work with both Amazon Alexa and Google Assistant, but it involves embedded AI technology, microphone, a 1080p HD camera, and a 90-decibel siren, and a built-in camera.
It lets you review security footage from its app, even at night, since the Canary has a night-vision camera.
The camera’s viewing radius ensures your living room, nursery, kitchen, or basement is entirely visible with vivid clarity. Also, you can use its two-way talk to have real-time conversations with anyone at home.
- Crystal clear night vision;
- 2-way audio;
- Monitors air quality;
- Environmental sensors.
3. ProGlove Mark
By uniting IoT and wearables solutions in one solution, ProGlove is making industrial workers safer and efficient at their job sites.
Mark is crafted to meet the safety requirements of an industrial environment along with real-time visual and haptic feedback, gesture sensing, and wireless connectivity.
The gloves are outfitted with a barcode scanner for documenting assembly and quality checking.
It can be connected to other devices like tablets, smartwatches, and wearable terminals through BLE (Bluetooth Low Energy) or 868 MHz.
- Hands-free RFID scanning of goods;
- Efficient and ergonomic documentation;
- No integration needed;
- Monitoring/training of workflow sequences.
4. Philips Hue Bulb System
With laser-focused attention on lighting alone, Philips has created one of the best smart lighting systems out there, and it’s one that easily beats much of the rivals in terms of its robustness and completeness.
It allows you to control home lighting and set the right ambiance for different moments. Bulb a high quality and energy-efficient LED lighting platform that can be controlled when connected with a Hue bridge.
- Schedules dimming and lighting;
- Creates an ambiance – wake up, sleeping, part, and more;
- It’s wirelessly controlled away from home;
- Functional integration with other services.
5. Amazon Echo Plus
Amazon Echo Plus features premium speakers for mighty 360° sound, built-in smart home hub, and temperature control. You only need to ask Alexa to run songs, make phone calls, set timers, and alarms.
Echo Plus can also check the weather, manage to-do, shopping list, and other stuff for you. Plus, it easily connects to and controls smart lights, plugs, sensors, and more in your workplace or home.
It supports multi-room audio, so you can play one track in your kitchen while someone else listens to a different song in the bathroom.
- Plays tunes and smoothly connects with external speakers;
- Makes instant calls and message on voice command;
- Read the news, set alarms, check the weather, and it’s compatible with all smart home devices;
- Keeps your family in sync.
Kuri is a small-sized robot for your home, which is designed to interact with you and your family. It’s aimed to provide entertainment to people in a household. It interacts well with users and can capture moments in the house daily. It navigates through the house by a sensor array and knows precisely where it’s going.
Don’t forget that every component in Kuri works to make dynamic interactions that bring out a real sense of personality. Also, live stream capability lets Kuri be your eyes around the home when you’re not there.
- Includes capacitive touch sensors and HD camera;
- Has heart and speakers;
- Plays music and dance;
- Uses a voice detection system.
7. ConnectSense Smart Outlet 2
With the ConnectSense Smart Outlet 2, monitoring and controlling the power usage in your home has never been easier. Coupled with Apple HomeKit, Google Assistant, or Amazon Alexa, you can control fans, lamps, or other appliances with the power of your voice.
Smart Outlet 2 enables devices to be controlled whenever you want, wherever you choose, with no hub needed.
It lacks support for IFTTT. Still, you can make it work with other smart home devices using Automations or HomeKit Scenes and monitors energy usage for both outlets.
- Double independent outlets;
- A bonus USB charging port provides great flexibility;
- Integrated power usage and dimming features;
- Supports Google and Alexa products, in addition to HomeKit.
8. Brilliant Control
Brilliant Control is a useful wall switch that uses Wi-Fi to connect to and control different smart devices in your home. It has a 5” color touch screen with user-friendly button controls that let you play music, control lighting, set thermostat temps, and see who is at your door.
It works with many smart home platforms, like Phillips Hue, Nest, Sonos, Ring, and Ecobee, and it includes built-in Amazon Alexa voice support that enables it to do almost everything that Echo can do.
- Uses a microphone and camera with privacy shutter;
- You can ask for home control, weather, sports, and more;
- Personalizable touchscreen displays photos, art, or weather forecast;
- Supports CFL, LED, halogen, and incandescent bulbs and works with dimmable lighting.
9. Wink Hub 2
The Wink Hub 2 is a multi-purpose home automation hub that works with practically every wireless protocol out there and supports dual-band Wi-Fi. Installation and device matching are quick and easy, and it works with Alexa voice commands and IFTTT recipes.
It’s compatible with all essential smart home categories, including cameras, doorbells, lighting, locks, thermostats, sensors, speakers, alarms, and more.
For example, if the smoke alarm goes off, then Wink can send you SMS or email. Also, if the garage doors open, the front door lights can be switched on as well.
- Supports numerous wireless protocols;
- User-friendly device;
- Dual-band Wi-Fi and wired Ethernet;
- Works with Alexa and IFTTT.
10. Netgear Orbi
It’s an uber-performance Wi-Fi system that covers vast areas up to 5,000 sq. ft. The system has a Wi-Fi router and a satellite system that works with the existing Internet service provider.
Orbi allows quick and smooth connection speeds for all devices, even as more devices connected. It ensures that your signal won’t fail as you move from one room to the next.
It needs minutes to set up with the Orbi app and already works with all Internet service providers so you can enjoy ultra-fast Wi-Fi sooner.
- Offers smart parental controls;
- Works smoothly with Google Assistant and Amazon Alexa;
- Eliminates buffering and Wi-Fi dead zones;
- Quick and easy installation.
Yes, it controls AV and TV equipment like other universal remotes. Still, with Wi-Fi and Bluetooth, it’s able to control other smart devices too. Also, Logitech placed several physical buttons on the remote so that it’s even easier to, for example – dim the lights or turn on the coffee maker.
- Dedicated smart home buttons;
- Works with a huge number of devices;
- UX interface;
- Easy setup.
12. Plume Labs Flow
Flow from Plume Labs is an intelligent handheld device that helps you to make the best air quality choice for you and your family.
It comes with an air quality tracker, which informs the user in which area the air quality is polluted or bad and vice versa. It displays all the results in the map available in its application.
Flow and its app give you the minute-by-minute breakdown of pollutants you were exposed throughout the day by measuring real-time concentrations of VOC, N02, PM2.5, and PM10.
The press of its button illuminates animated LEDs, providing you immediate feedback on what your air’s like – outdoors, indoors, on a bike, or riding the subway.
- High-quality RGB LEDs;
- Displays live results on the smartphone;
- Runs 24 hours on a full charge;
- It comes with a stainless-steel body.
13. August Smart Lock Pro + Connect
August Smart Lock Pro + Connect is the IoT lock for every home. It has proven to be a highly dependable security IoT device that manages your doors from any location in a worry-free way.
Lock/unlock your door from anywhere, get secure access to friends and family, and track who is going and coming, all from the August app.
It automatically unlocks when you arrive and locks when you leave. August Smart Lock Pro works with all 3 voice assistants – Amazon Alexa, Google Assistant, and Siri. Plus, it integrates directly with the Airbnb hosting system to completely automate the check-in and check-out process.
- Checks your door status when you aren’t at home;
- Provides a log of every person coming or going into your house;
- Includes advanced voice control that you can also control with Siri, Alexa, and the Google assistant;
- Easy installation process.
14. Google Nest Protect
The Nest Protect powered by Google is a dual-sensor smoke and carbon monoxide alarm. It detects smoke much quicker than standard photoelectric or ionization detectors. It’s a handy smart device that thinks, speaks, and alerts your smartphone about any unwanted emergencies in your house.
Besides Bluetooth Low Energy and Wi-Fi, Nest Protect can also communicate via Thread, a secure, low-power networking tech that connects more than 250 devices into the mesh network.
- Industrial-grade smoke sensor;
- Available in both battery-operated and hard-wired options;
- Tests itself automatically hundreds of times per day;
- App integration with other Internet-connected devices.
15. Bitdefender Box 2
Bitdefender Box 2 is an IoT home security device that protects computers, laptops, tablets, and all your connected IoT connected devices from malware, hackers, stolen passwords, spying, identify theft, and more.
It’s a supercharged router that replaces or runs alongside your existing networking kit. Connect your devices to the Box, and it acts as a firewall, supervising inbound connections to keep hackers at bay.
With Box 2, your network is monitored continuously for unknown devices or suspicious behavior, and it blocks outgoing requests to known malicious websites.
- Delivers Double-Clad home network security to users;
- Features a high-performance ratio;
- Provides unique and feature-rich parental control;
- Uses award-winning technology.
From our house, office, avenues, and beyond, IoT is transforming every stage of our life. Therefore, if you’re a CEO or a homeowner, owning smart gadgets will make your life easy.