Top 5 Law Practice Management Software in 2022
The contemporary age is famous for the availability of anything that you can imagine. You want to book a hotel – use the app; you want to order food – use the app; you want to manage important documents and clients’ info – well, there’s an app for that as well.
And that’s not bad at all. Living in a world where spare time is an extinct species requires an additional source of help – electronic devices and software. The software has developed mainly in a business world where it is almost impossible to run various things at the same time without making a single mistake.
In order to prevent mistakes from disturbing your business, consider using the software – it will provide you and your business with stability and long lifespan!
What is Law Practice Management Software?
Speaking of the app power, let us introduce you to law practice management software. This system is used to help law firms manage client records, essential documents, meetings and schedules, deadlines, billing, and accounting.
If you’re running a law firm, you must be facing with the difficulties of managing the paperwork and other stuff that goes together with it – but don’t worry, legal software is there to help! It will make your job easier, and your data will remain safe and in one place.
How to Find the Best Law Practice Management Software?
Choosing the best legal software is not some kind of science, but you need to figure out your business needs before you decide to purchase the program. The good thing is that most of the programs offer a free trial which can give you an insight into the features – try as many software as you can before you invest the money in some of them.
Here are some basic features of the lawyer software:
- Case management – this feature helps you manage tasks, tracking, and phone messaging. Besides, it checks for conflict interest and the statute of limitations.
- Document management – the software can draft your files and link them to word processing apps.
- Document assembly – this feature includes creating legal documents using automated templates – from simple letters and forms to sophisticated legal documents.
- Calendaring – you can have an insight into your appointments, meetings, tasks, and deadlines on a daily, weekly or monthly basis and you can schedule it in one click.
- Billing and time tracking – you can follow the billable time on hourly, transactional or contingent basis.
- Accounting management – this feature includes payroll, trust accounts, and receivables management. It also creates financial reports.
- Legal CRM/contact management – you can track and store e-mail and phone call details, and the program will remind you if you need to call someone back.
What are the Benefits of Using Legal Software?
The purpose of this software is providing the user with the necessary features that would help him/her perform their law business efficiently and more productively.
Here are some of the essential advantages of using the software:
- Enhanced team collaboration – when it comes to scheduling appointments with your teammates or partners, this platform makes sure you never miss one, and it allows your assistants to access the system and schedule your meetings.
- Improved data access – instead of keeping your clients’ files on the shelf, keep it in the system, and access the data anytime you want, fast and easily.
- Better case management – legal management system links all contacts, tasks, calendar additions and marks all essential matters and cases. In that way, you save a lot of time since your cases are well-organized.
Besides, the newest versions of this software include a cloud-based program which allows you to access your data from any device with an Internet connection. On the other hand, you can choose mobile computing which comes with a mobile app allowing you to manage your data from your home or court.
The Best Legal Software in 2022
If you’re new to all this, let us present you some of the best law practice management software in 2022 – you’ll see the features, limitations, and price which is billed per user annually. Enjoy!
MyCase is an affordable and cloud-based choice for the law firms who are looking for a full-featured software. It keeps all your files and data at one place, and it focuses on users’ feedback and input so that it keeps improving by meeting your needs.
- Excellent management – MyCase helps you manage documents, track time, tasks, and appointments and it facilitates your communication with clients by allowing you to “talk” to them from a single location.
- Security – since it’s cloud-based software, it provides you with the top-notch security. The software uses “bank-grade” encryption, and there is also two-factor authentication.
- User-friendly interface – MyCase is easy to use, even for the inexperienced users. It also includes in-depth training sessions if you quickly want to learn how to use it. However, if you’re facing any difficulties, you can contact the customer support via e-mail, chat or phone.
- No full accounting management – there is no full accounting feature, but you can send invoices and accept online payments. However, if you need more than that, go for other software.
- Poor third-party apps integrations – MyCase integrates only with Outlook, Google, Dropbox, and QuickBooks allowing you to sync contacts, calendars, and expense entries.
Clio is a powerful and user-friendly platform which comes with a bunch of robust features. It’s designed for every law firm, and it includes various pricing packages suitable for everybody. Clio keeps improving day by day bringing new, enhanced features, which is the reason why it’s among the best law practice management software.
- Excellent integrations – Clio integrates with the most of third-party apps which makes it quite useful and practical. Besides, it allows you to build your app on top of the API (Application Programming Interface) in case you can’t find something that works the way you want it.
- Accounts receivable aging report – this feature allows you to view and track unpaid customer invoices – with it, you’ll have better insight into your finances and cash flow.
- Marketing tracking – now you can figure out where your clients come from! With Campaign Tracker, you can generate unique phone numbers routed from your firm phone to use with ads, create contact forms, and enter leads manually.
- Poor reporting features – many users complain about the lack of efficient reporting features; for example, they would appreciate details like user-controlled functions since they would be able to customize the data which the reports generate.
- Unfinished accounting feature – like MyCase, Clio comes without full accounting management. It includes billing, trust accounting, and basic bookkeeping.
Welcome to another cloud-based law practice management software – MerusCase. It brings innovations to the legal software world, and it is specifically designed for small and medium-sized law firms providing them with all the vital options.
- Top-notch customization – now you can create custom case types, document templates, task workflows, and reports.
- Excellent reporting features – no matter if you want to make a list of upcoming birthdays, or you want to see who the most productive of your employees is, MerusCase will make it possible.
- Full accounting options – MerusCase includes full accounting options, and you don’t have to purchase additional accounting software.
- No smartphone app – there’s no Android or iOS app for MerusCase, but you can run it via any browser on smartphone or desktop.
- Software crash – some users said that the software crashes after the update and that it takes a lot of time to “recover.”
CosmoLex is a robust law practice management software which comes with built-in law firm accounting package. It’s concentrated both on law management and accounting providing you with a remarkable experience.
- Included credit card processing – CosmoLex comes with LawPay, and it doesn’t require any additional fee; so, you can accept credit cards from your clients easily.
- Client portal – Instead of communicating via e-mail, which is the most common hackers’ target, CosmoLex allows the attorney to communicate securely with the clients, and to share data with them.
- Money Finder – this feature helps you get a better insight into your finances since it marks all your completed billable tasks and the events that have not been invoiced to the client yet.
- Difficult to learn how to use accounting features – many users had had problems when they started using the software since they’ve found it challenging to learn how to use the accounting features.
- Poor calendaring functions – CosmoLex comes with the calendar which is not easy to view and use – that’s why most of the users choose Outlook or Google calendar instead.
5. Casebox (Free)
Finally, if you’re looking for a free law practice management software, have a look at Casebox. Casebox is legal software which can be used for any litigation area. Even though it’s free, Casebox provides you with most of the features offered by its competitors.
- Drag and drop – you can drag a file from the computer and drop it to any folder you want in Casebox. This is practical because you can open various tabs and folders simultaneously and work with multiple tabs at the same time.
- Outstanding security – Casebox allows you to control who can view or edit your files and folders and you can set access rules to groups or individual users like legal counsels or project consultants. Besides, this software comes with SSL (Secure Sockets Layer) encryption providing you with an additional level of safety.
- Intuitive and easy-to-use platform – the design of the platform is simple, which allows you to navigate quickly and concentrate on managing information about cases, services, contacts, staff and projects fast and efficiently.
- File/folder organization is not practical – many users are not satisfied with file and folder organization, and they find it time-consuming to create and edit documents.
- Lack of essential features – Casebox won’t provide you with options like billing management, expense tracking or client management which might be crucial for some law firms.