Medical Software – A Functional Solution for Care Providers
Being a care provider is quite a challenging profession. It requires a lot of empathy, patience, and a lot of papers that need to be perfectly organized.
The development of the modern era has brought a wide range of time-saving programs that are used for different purposes – accounting, marketing, car renting, and even dental and medical care. These apps can’t complete your job entirely, but they can significantly help you focus more on the things that matter.
Patient management software will help you with scheduling, billing, and paperwork, and it will create a database that contains patient information, diagnoses, prescriptions, interactions, and encounters within a medical organization.
Many developers are aimed at designing healthcare software, and the process of finding the ideal one can be quite mind-boggling – that’s why small business computer consultants have made a list of the features of the best patient management system, as well as the list of five most representative platforms.
What are the Critical Features of the Patient Management System?
It’s essential to know that not all the features are included in all the apps that provide patient relationship management. Still, some more or less common options are found in most of the platforms.
Here are they:
1. All Medical Records are In One Place
Keeping all the patients’ medical records in one place is essential to any healthcare provider. Accordingly, one of the primary goals of the patient case management software is providing the user with information about patients’ immunizations, previous diagnosis, surgeries, chronic issues, and other vital data.
Besides, the platform also includes charting features that record, update, and archive the information about the patients into the system that you can access anytime.
Some of the software come with integrations with other medical platforms, allowing the simple transfer of electronic health records between care providers.
2. Scheduling Is Clearer and More Straightforward
Scheduling appointments used to be quite a nightmare – determining the time and date that fits everyone, forgettable patients, and lack of necessary equipment at the day when the patient comes is past now.
Most patient relationship management software solution include a scheduling module, which allows the patients to book their appointments online, as well as to cancel or reschedule the examination – that way, you or your staff don’t need to think about it.
When the appointment is booked, you can set automated reminders via phone call, text, or email so that your patients don’t forget about it. Besides, the medical software will save the appointment history, which includes no-shows.
Patient case management software also provides help regarding prescription dues and necessary equipment. For example, you can set automated emails that will remind your patients of their medical prescriptions that are close to expiring and that they should come and renew them.
As for the equipment, you can use your patient management software to reserve the items that are necessary for the upcoming examinations.
3. Patient Encounter is Significantly Improved
Instead of wasting time on filling the required forms in person, you can use patient care management software that will send the electronic forms that the patients will need to fill before their visit.
Also, patient relationship management allows you to check the examination room’s availability and track the progress of each exam.
4. … As Well As the Inpatient Encounters
Patient management systems will enable you to monitor the patients in the hospital. That way, you can schedule surgeries, schedule bed occupancy to prevent overcrowding and unsanitary conditions, and coordinate emergency response so that your patients get the best care.
5. Medical Billing is More Accessible
Healthcare includes specific fees as well as the other industries. Still, a doctor patient management software makes the process more accessible.
As the patients check in, medical billing modules will show the insurance eligibility, as well as the due for paying the bill. The patients can make payments online through the medical system.
6. Patient Data is More Secure Than Ever
The entire healthcare system requires top-notch security of the patients. So, all the medical patient management software must be HIPAA compliant (Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act) in order to meet the requirements of federal security standards.
Many medical systems include direct messaging, which means that patients can send a message directly to their doctor – although that’s convenient and time-saving, it still transmits sensitive data, so, be sure that the software you choose comes with a robust security system.
Meet The 5 First-Rate Medical Software in 2022
As you may conclude, medical software can significantly help you with paperwork and other time-consuming stuff that needs to be done together with all the other challenges that the job brings every day.
Hence, we’re going to present you the five best medical software solutions among which you can find the one that meets the needs of your medical branch:
5. OpenEMR – The Best Free Patient Management Software
Pricing: You can download OpenEMR on their website for free.
- Complicated installation: Even though it’s free of charge, the installation requires the assistance of the professional IT support – it can be costly, and that’s what users mostly don’t like about this product.
- Unresponsive customer support: Many users expressed dissatisfaction due to slow and unresponsive customer support. Still, OpenEMR allows you to choose your own support vendor if you are not entirely content with the current one.
- Voice recognition: Thanks to the voice recognition system, only you and your staff can access the vital information about your patients.
- Multilanguage support: Unlike many of its competitors, OpenEMR offers a wide range of languages that can be set within the same clinic, which is quite convenient for countries where English is not spoken a lot.
- Detailed patient demographics: You can track your patient demographics, and enter all the essential information about them, including insurance coverage, HIPAA information, and the details about the patient’s employer.
As for most software, there is also a free version of the medical one. Unlike Practice Fusion, which stopped being free, OpenEMR developers claim that their software will remain costless forever. It’s a cloud-based and on-premise system that includes electronic medical reports, scheduling, medical bill services, patient tracking, and much more essential features.
4. ReferralMD – The Best Patient Referral Management Software
Pricing: ReferralMD offers three packages – Solo Practice, Group Practice, and Enterprise. The pricing is not listed, but you can request a demo on each of the plans and see whether it fits you.
- Inability to share an appointment with a patient: This patient tracker system doesn’t allow you to share the appointment details with your patients. However, this feature is still under development, and it might come out soon.
- Some alert options need improvement: Some users don’t like the fact that this system doesn’t send alerts when a duplicate patient is being entered, which can cause confusions later.
- Up-to-date alerts: This patient tracking system will send you a notification when referrals need attention, and it will automatically send status updates to referring providers.
- All in one place: ReferralMD keeps all the info in one place, allowing you to track the status of your referrals and make sure that your patient is scheduled and completes their appointment.
- Responsive and transparent dashboard: The dashboard is quite understandable and easy to use, and it allows you to receive, review, and respond to electronic or faxed referrals from any browser. Besides, you can send, monitor, and track outbound referrals, and get notification of real-time appointment status.
This is another HIPAA compliant and cloud-based solution aimed at providing referral information about the patients. ReferralMD is excellent for improving collaboration and patient access between health systems, and it gives you better insight into the scheduled meetings, contacts, and essential reports.
3. Aesthetic Record – The Best Patient Tracker for Aesthetic Industry
Pricing: Aesthetic Records offers you a 30-day free trial, and a Premium plan, which starts at $10 per user per month if billed annually. If you opt for monthly billing, you’ll pay $12 per user.
- Not optimized for Android OS: The Aesthetic Record app works on the iPhone and iPad only, and there is no solution for Android users, which is quite a limitation.
- Data limitations: Since this is cloud-based medical software, you’ll be given a 2GB of data storage on the cloud – that might not be enough for storing records and photos, and extended storage starts at $1.
- Inventory control: This cloud-based patient management software allows you to create a straightforward inventory list and to include information such as product type and expiration date. With it, you can manage your sales and equipment more efficiently.
- High-quality medical photography: In the aesthetic industry, having high-quality photos is quite an essential requirement. Accordingly, Aesthetic Records delivers a top-notch experience when it comes to photographs, and doctors can track their patients’ progress directly from their iPad, where they can see ‘before and after’ images.
- Adding more people to the software: Aesthetic Records allows you to add multiple users to the software, which can be quite convenient for bigger clinics. Still, you’ll be charged for all the active members.
Aesthetic Record is an excellently-designed mobile medical photography system that is primarily aimed at the aesthetic industry. It represents a combination of well-developed medical photography, patient and clinic management that’s simple and easy to use.
2. Carbon Health – A Cloud-Based Patient Management Solution
Pricing: The vendor doesn’t provide a pricing plan, so you’ll have to contact them and ask for a price based on your clinic needs. Unfortunately, Carbon Health doesn’t offer any free trial.
- No handwriting recognition: Without the OCR (Optical Character Recognition), the doctors or their stuff won’t be able to transfer their notes into digital text immediately, as it is being written. It’s not a major con, but it could be helpful if there were such an option.
- No voice recognition: Although it’s not a required feature, voice recognition would be a nice touch, and it would significantly improve your security system.
- A wide range of integrations: This healthcare software integrates well with insurance providers, pharmacies, specialists, and labs – that way, you can manage prescriptions and access lab results, and get a better insight into your patients’ condition.
- Video appointments: If patients are unable to come and visit you in your office, they can schedule a video appointment and consult with you about treatments and medications. It can be quickly done with the Android or iOS mobile app.
- E-prescribing: With such a feature, you can write and send prescriptions to pharmacies electronically, instead of using handwritten or faxed notes. It will save you a lot of time since the process is quite quick and efficient.
Carbon Health is cloud-based software that combines EHR and patient management practice, and it is suitable for both small and big clinics. It comes with a lot of useful features, including template-based charting, check-in in one-click, medical imaging, results viewing, lab requesting, prescription issuing, and much more.
1. ECLIPSE Practice Management Software – The Best for Chiropractic and Physical Therapy
Pricing: You must contact the vendor and ask about the price, which mostly depends on the number of employees. You can request a free demo first to see if this software is the right solution.
- EHR is not entirely developed: Many users claim that EHR is not entirely developed and that it’s a bit complex to use.
- Lack of insurance verification: This software can’t verify if your patient has coverage if the services provided are covered with the policy, etc.
- HIPAA compliant: This software’s got a HIPAA compliant, which means that its security system is well-developed.
- Dunning management: If the patient’s payment can be made for some reason (credit card limitation/expiration/wrong password/lack of funds), the system won’t freeze the patient’s account immediately, but it’ll allow him/her to try two or three more times.
- Multiple offices support: Some care providers spend a lot of time outside the office, and that’s why they need support for their other devices, including smartphone and tablet. With ECLIPSE, you’ll be provided with such an advantage.
Overall, ECLIPSE is the most popular and best-rated patient management software. It’s primarily aimed at a chiropractic and physical therapy, but it can serve ideally to multi-disciplinary branches. It includes billing, scheduling, electronic health record (EHR), and many other top-class features.